Saturday, July 9, 2011

What triggers you?

We are all imperfect in a perfect way and based on our experiences in life and the way we were brought up we all have areas that trigger us.  It may be situations the trigger an emotional reaction or other people.  Part of our emotional and self awareness is to understand what triggers us and how we can manage our reactions.  This is vital in our relationships and in the workplace.  I always take the view that if I understand what triggers me then I am in a better position to choose my response.  I don't always get it right but I have spent time getting to know myself and my experiences to better understand what triggers my emotions.  We know from the neuroscience research that a key element of managing our emotional reactions is to to kick start the rational side of the brain.  We can do this through normalising our response through our thoughts or even using systemic labelling to provide a metaphor for the emotion that is coming up.  We know that the quicker the rational part of the brain kicks in the better chance we won't be hostage to an emotional "overreaction".

So what triggers you?

2 comments:

  1. Being yelled . While I respond with silence, its all to cover up being angry and being afraid to respond. This triggers me into a downward spiral of being judgemental and blaming others. All designed to avoid being responsible for my reaction and not stand up for myself.

    Not getting a response to an email or phone call. It makes me feel like they dont care, or Im not important enoug. I get annoyed and frustrated which ultimately gets in the way of me seeing the situation for what it really is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment - I think it's great that you are able to identify what triggers you. I like the fact that you also identified that owning your emotions are important - We choose how to respond in a constructive or destructive way. Try to see others with a sense of compassion but start with yourself - You do matter!!

    ReplyDelete